Best Coax Cable Antenna
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best Coax Cable Antenna

Best Coax Cable Antenna 31 Oct 2012 15:50 #10413

• Becky91366
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi! I have an HP-1 and also have a portable TV that has a standard coax cable connector. What antenna could I get that could be used for both my TV and HP-1 that might get better reception and more channels. I am clueless to this topic and appreciate the help. If possible could you post a link to an antenna and to the adapter I would need? Thanks!

Re: Best Coax Cable Antenna 31 Oct 2012 20:02 #10415

• JD3
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
That may or may not work, depending on what frequencies are used in your area by law enforcement.
Any radio or scanner receives the best if the antenna is tuned to the frequencies you are planning on listening to.

Most outdoor TV antennas are directional, meaning they "hear" the best in one direction.
If the TV and law enforcement stations are not in the same direction from your house, reception would be marginal for one or both.

The best antennas would mount on top of your roof or on a tower. It could be strapped to a chimney or a tripod could be bolted to the roof. There are several ways of mounting an external antenna.

Also, is your portable TV digital or analog, are the TV stations digital or analog? Would you need an amplifier to increase the signal for your TV for better reception?

First lets get some basic information. What area do you live in and what services do you intend on listening to?
(such as police, rescue, fire, gov't services, etc.)

Re: Best Coax Cable Antenna 31 Oct 2012 20:08 #10416

• Becky91366
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok........a little more info......lol.

I was intending to unscrew the antenna to use on both the tv and scanner. The TV is a 7" digital and I was hoping to just pick up major networks. I live in Sylvania, Ohio which is a suburb of Toledo. As you can tell I am pretty clueless when it comes to this frequency stuff. So if what I was thinking about doing won't work could you tell me what antenna would best serve me to receive more scanner frequencies? I mostly listen to police, fire and ems but I am curious to see what I can pick up. Can you tell I have been bored? lol

Re: Best Coax Cable Antenna 31 Oct 2012 20:57 #10417

• JD3
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Your area uses the 800mhz band (actually 851 - 855 mhz) which is around channel 77 on the TV.

Are you considering an outside antenna? Or an antenna that's inside the house?
That is probably the biggest question. Do you feel like going on the roof and installing an antenna.
Best choice for now (because winter is coming) get a digital type indoor antenna for the TV.
You might know someone who has an extra indoor antenna lying around you could borrow.

Either way, you would need a coax cable that has a connector for TV on one side and maybe a BNC quick disconnect connector on the other side. I have compression connectors for both, so I could make my own. You might want to find a local ham radio shop to make you a cable. Then you would need a BNC to SMA adapter to connect the HP1 to the coax. Check the reception with your TV and see if it is to your liking. Then unplug the TV and plug in the HP1 to the antenna and check signal strength.

If the radio has good reception you would need a TV splitter to allow both the TV and the HP1 to share the antenna.

Looking at your location, the Antenna should be located in a window looking south or east, towards Toledo for best reception.

Re: Best Coax Cable Antenna 31 Oct 2012 23:08 #10419

• Becky91366
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I am looking for a small antenna. We live here but I like to take the little TV and scanner to Mecosta, Michigan when we camp. Believe it or not the TV gets channels in Mecosta but not Toledo. The scanner does pretty well in Sylvania (at least I think it does) but won't even pickup Mecosta when we are there.

Re: Best Coax Cable Antenna 01 Nov 2012 00:10 #10420

• JD3
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Since you are mobile with the scanner how about a very good telescopic antenna for the HP1?
A lot of people are happy using the Diamond SRH789 antenna.
Then you can use the scanner anywhere because the antenna can tune to many different frequencies.
For the 800mhz range, shorten the antenna. For lower frequencies raise the antenna.

www.diamondantenna.net/srh789.html

Many ham radio and scanner websites have this antenna. It is about $35.

If you still need a TV antenna buy one specifically for the TV. There are many choices out there.
Look at size and the range of reception. Buy one that fits your needs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds