Question on radio signals
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question on radio signals

Question on radio signals 16 Jan 2013 19:39 #10875

• Max2248
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
I am very curios about radio signals. I have been trying to pick up a low power station for a month with no luck, however today I read em loud and clear. The station is 35 miles from where I am. They are north of me, the reason I mention that is because the wind is coming from the north, light presip and 35 degrees. Could it be the weather? I'll have to pickup a antenna for dummy’s book I guess. I know this station is very active 24 hours 7 days a week.

Question On Radio Signals 16 Jan 2013 22:38 #10876

• Jim1348
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Could you give any more details at all? Perhaps the callsign and frequency of the station? Some stations change there transmit power during certain times. Also, some select a different antenna day vs. night.

Re: Question on radio signals 16 Jan 2013 23:28 #10877

• Max2248
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Jim, the freq is 453.725 Boston Water and Sewer. I use to work there and know a lot of guy's out on the road just like to keep in touch. I think there only antenna is located on the Fed Res Bank building at south station I have them programed in my Fav list and have been trying to pick them up for the last 3 weeks to a month with no results till today, I got 6 hits so far. The only thing different today from any other day is weather and wind direction. I left a message to the group a while back about weather and reception and the reply I got back is yes weather does effect reception but I thought it made things worst not better. hey thank you for replying back.

Re: Question on radio signals 16 Jan 2013 23:42 #10878

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Lots of things can vary the signal, fog, water vapor, tropo ducting (Google it), don't know if this could be traveling part way across a bay or the ocean but that can create a duct. I've never seen wind have any effect, though if it was high and had embedded dust or dirt it might. It's more prevalent on VHF than UHF.

Wait until the leaves come back in the spring - 10 to 20% reduction.

There are tons of articles onC online, lots are Amateur Radio info.

Been playing with for 55 years or so.

again Google propagation radio uhf etc.

Re: Question on radio signals 17 Jan 2013 00:01 #10879

• Max2248
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Ohio, already got a folder full of sites from google on antennas ect so many if's and but's about this topic that I seen so far. Gave up the motorcycle so now I have to turn my attention to any other hobby and this seems the direction I am going.

Re: Question on radio signals 20 Jun 2016 01:01 #16722

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Sounds to me that UHF signals from 35 miles away on an omni-directional antenna is pushing it.
Sometimes weather can result in better propagation there at different times, so if you want
to beat some of that, you might try purchasing or even building a multi-element beam on UHF
to increase your input signal on your scanner. Having been a ham for over 40 years, I built one
once for 800 MhZ, and it did help. The fact that you know exactly WHERE & WHAT Frequency
you want to hear make this an easier project. Get a project book on beam antennas, and find
one for UHF 400 MhZ. Short of this, purchase an older UHF TV beam (given the fact that all
signals are digital on TV now, this should be easy), and try that. I've had a lot of luck with
old TV antennas, some of which I've modified for one group of channels by cutting off VHF
elements. It's a bit crude, but in reception, it still works. 75 Ohm TV coax and connectors
work well on scanners, too. Experiment. That's what makes this a great hobby. I started
in the 1960's with some of the FIRST scanners created by Sonar and Regency corporation,
and it's been a blast. The Uniden digital series like the #1 or #2 or even the newer models
really revolutionized the hobby. DUKE, WB9OJD
Last Edit: 20 Jun 2016 01:05 by Duke. Reason: grammar
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds