another dumb question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: another dumb question

another dumb question 25 Jun 2013 21:18 #12033

• revreid
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
hello,again. i am excited about purchasing a home patrol in the next few days. i have not upgraded my scanner since the nineties,so,i am thrilled. just wandering,does the antenna which comes with the unit pick up ok? i live in central north carolina-thomasville-so i am within 25 miles of 2 large metro areas. i really cant afford,nor have room for an outside antenna. just wandering how others fared with the rubber one. i have one on my old scanner,which does ok. thanks for any help.

Re: another dumb question 25 Jun 2013 23:51 #12034

• WarriorForJesus
  • ( Visitor )
First, I am a big believer in the fact that there is no such thing as a dumb question. If you don't know, and if you don't ask, you never will know. Amen?

Now, on to your question. I can attest that the stock antenna is adequate. I am able to pick up PD's, EMS, Fire, Airport, etc. (certainly a broad spectrum of frequency ranges) within the 30 mile max. range of the unit. I have also picked up stuff outside of that range.

Having said that, I have noticed that there are certain areas in my house where the unit gets better reception than others. Some freqs come in better upstairs in one room, while in another room upstairs these same freqs don't come in very good. I have gotten so that I use the scanner in those rooms where the signals are the strongest for whichever channels I really want to listen to.

I think that you will really enjoy the HP-1. It's a neat little scanner. And, it couldn't be easier to set up. Plus, if you have any problems the community is here to help out.

That's my two mites. Hope it helped.

Re: another dumb question 25 Jun 2013 23:56 #12035

• revreid
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
thanks so much.my mother always said that you dont know if you dont ask. i am excited about the home patrol.

Re: another dumb question 26 Jun 2013 01:46 #12038

• Iffy
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Gotta add my .02 FRN. I receive all the freqs that I want to scan with the orig antenna at home.

Granted, I'm a casual scanner enthusiast. But this lil' unit is far and above beyond the other 'tedious' scanners!

Re: another dumb question 31 Jul 2013 01:36 #12303

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Watch the thrift stores for portable cell antennas that you can convert to scanner usage. I did.
Duke, WB9OJD
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds