Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems

Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems 26 Jul 2015 16:09 #15521

• HP2WI
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Now that I finally have a HP2 that works! The first one was defective, sent in to Uniden and returned still defective. Uniden wanted me to send it in again! (another 25 days without a scanner???) I demanded a new one and received it.

This one works, but its as deaf as any scanner I have ever had. I have added a Diamond SRH789 antenna to replace the factory duck. I live on a hill about 150 feet above my metro area. My range is set at 15 miles, squelch is at 2, The unit is programmed using my home latitude/longitude. So reception should not be a problem (and isn't with my older VHF/UFH units with stock antennas)

Here the issues I am experiencing with the HP2:

1. Long periods of silence: It is programmed for primarily local law and fire/ems channels, VHF/UHF and P25, currently 900+ channels. But at times its totally quiet for long periods when my other scanners are receiving calls.

2. Broadcast quality is inconsistent: The same channel on (dispatch) can be either good, garbled, hollow sounding, or static. Some channels sound like the people talking are drunk with slurred speech.

3. Volume levels are sometimes too low to hear and some are so loud its annoying.

I hope that Uniden is working on a fix for this, as this not how a $400.00 scanner should work! If they can't make a scanner that works with P25 they should admit it or fix it.

Putting up an external antenna is not an option for a portable scanner. It defeats the purpose for which it was purchased!

Thanks to all on HomePatrol.com for helping me with my past issues. Keep up the good work!

Jim,

Re: Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems 27 Jul 2015 16:55 #15523

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
1. Long periods of silence: It is programmed for primarily local law and fire/ems channels, VHF/UHF and P25, currently 900+ channels. But at times its totally quiet for long periods when my other scanners are receiving calls.

I have 3, 1 -2 and 2 -1 - receptions is as good as 996 , 780, 325. At least with same antennas.

2. Broadcast quality is inconsistent: The same channel on (dispatch) can be either good, garbled, hollow sounding, or static. Some channels sound like the people talking are drunk with slurred speech.

Are these simulcast systems?

3. Volume levels are sometimes too low to hear and some are so loud its annoying.
Usually more a result of the system/dispatcher.
If it is - using a favorite you can increase a single system's volume.

Make sure all the appropriate service types are on.

Range at 15 may or may not cause it to load more than you need and slow it down.

Use a favorite to select just what you want - 900+ will slow it (unless part of that is talkgroups), multiple sites in a system will ea. take about 2 sec to scan, select just the 1 or 2 you really need.

Is this ph2 or ph1 ? I have had zero issues on Ph1 systems, no ph2, some users do on ph2, some don.t

Would help to know where and what systems.

I hope that Uniden is working on a fix for this, as this not how a $400.00 scanner should work! If they can't make a scanner that works with P25 they should admit it or fix it.

Putting up an external antenna is not an option for a portable scanner. It defeats the purpose for which it was purchased!

Really? It's more of a base than a portable. It's only as good as what gets there. Home construction materials can greatly diminish signals. The newer, the worse.

Thanks to all on HomePatrol.com for helping me with my past issues. Keep up the good work!

Re: Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems 28 Jul 2015 17:30 #15524

• HP2WI
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply, I will try some of your suggestions. I do not know what a Ph1 is though.

Jim

Re: Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems 28 Jul 2015 20:56 #15525

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
phase 1 or phase2 p25 system. Users have reported some issues on ph2.

Re: Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems 01 Aug 2015 14:38 #15528

• sliphorn
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm a little late getting to this thread, so please bear with me.

I live in Nashville. That might ring a bell for some of you. I have a HP 2 and I have several antennas. None of the antennas I have at the moment solve the problem of scratchy voices, drop out and long periods of time without a hit. I'm primarily listening to police and fire. Most everything else I have stored on the radio comes in loud and clear with the exception of things that are outside the county.

Metro keeps floating the rumor that they are going to upgrade to phase 2...that was one of the reasons we got the HP2 to begin with. I don't know if changing systems will matter or not. I have a Radio Shack Pro 197 which performs beautifully, but I'll have to retire it to conventional use.

None of this helps anybody. I just wanted you to know if you're having the problems that Jim and I have, you're not alone.

Lastly, I am a charter member of the antenna of the month club. They all seem to do about the same thing.

Thanks for listening!

Dan

Re: Home Patrol 2 Reception Problems 05 Aug 2016 15:01 #16920

• HP2WI
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Dan

Thanks for your reply. I tried multiple antennas and none worked satisfactorily. I finally had to bite the bullet and put one outside. Not that I wanted to (it defeats the purpose of a portable scanner) I use it in my office, garage, workshop, and car.

I bought a Super Scanner One on E bay, mounted it to the rain gutter on the first floor and it doubled my range and signal quality. This antenna is only 34 inches tall it has three separate antennas all with their own ground plane mounted inside a 3/4 inch PCV Pipe. It comes installed with RG8X.
You can order it with 25 feet or 50 feet of cable.

Best regards,

Jim F
Hortonville, WI
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds