HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA

HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA 28 Sep 2015 16:41 #15734

• darticus
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Can anyone tell me a better antenna. I have been using this and it is good but I would like a little more distance. Is there a best antenna? Thanks Ron

Re: HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA 03 Jan 2017 17:09 #17102

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Ron: I think I answered this one on another thread. Try using an old TV antenna, cut down if necessary, and placed vertical polarization (sideways) on a mast. It doesn't look pretty, but I tried that years ago on a house, on a 15 foot high mast/tower on a flat roof.
I put it on a TV rotor, too. You'd be surprized at what you can pick up, and despite all the techies giving you advice about coax and cable connectors, I used TV F connectors until it got to my scanner, then used a conversion adapter to match it to the mini-connector on the Home Patrol. I used TV coax, 75 ohm, and sure there are some losses, but with that strange looking beam, the signal was greatly increased, and whatever losses I had were overcome by the increased signal. Everything is a trade off.
Short of that, I built a multi-band dipole into a PCV pipe (described elsewhere here), and used TV coax. I was surprised, with a little height on the antenna, what signals that thing pulled in. It lasted for 15 year, until water and humidity finally got to it.
Best thing I can suggest is EXPERIMENT. Hobbyists/ Amateur Radio Operators like myself have been doing that for a long time.
DUKE, WB9OJD since 1974, Public Service Hobbyist since early 1960's.

Re: HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA 01 Jan 2019 20:39 #18477

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
The discontinued ST-2 antenna is the best. Now you will have to find it on E-BAY and it costs a fortune. Used to only cost 30-50 dollars. I have seen it bid into the hundreds.

Re: HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA 10 Jan 2019 21:01 #18483

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
I still maintain that a good outside antenna tuned to the frequency(ies) that you desire is best.
So many guys are afraid to experiment. Years ago, we called them "appliance operators".
Using a little theory, a little application, and quite often you can come up with something better
than something purchased. If you just try my original idea for cutting down an old TV antenna,
you might get surprised. I did. DUKE, WB9OJD
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds