HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA

HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA 28 Sep 2015 16:41 #15734

• darticus
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Can anyone tell me a better antenna. I have been using this and it is good but I would like a little more distance. Is there a best antenna? Thanks Ron

Re: HOME PATROL 1 USING A RS DISCONE ANTENNA 03 Jan 2017 17:09 #17102

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Ron: I think I answered this one on another thread. Try using an old TV antenna, cut down if necessary, and placed vertical polarization (sideways) on a mast. It doesn't look pretty, but I tried that years ago on a house, on a 15 foot high mast/tower on a flat roof.
I put it on a TV rotor, too. You'd be surprized at what you can pick up, and despite all the techies giving you advice about coax and cable connectors, I used TV F connectors until it got to my scanner, then used a conversion adapter to match it to the mini-connector on the Home Patrol. I used TV coax, 75 ohm, and sure there are some losses, but with that strange looking beam, the signal was greatly increased, and whatever losses I had were overcome by the increased signal. Everything is a trade off.
Short of that, I built a multi-band dipole into a PCV pipe (described elsewhere here), and used TV coax. I was surprised, with a little height on the antenna, what signals that thing pulled in. It lasted for 15 year, until water and humidity finally got to it.
Best thing I can suggest is EXPERIMENT. Hobbyists/ Amateur Radio Operators like myself have been doing that for a long time.
DUKE, WB9OJD since 1974, Public Service Hobbyist since early 1960's.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds