Outside antennas
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Outside antennas

Outside antennas 02 Oct 2010 20:56 #581

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
In a couple threads here and on RR people are cuious about antenna choices. At home I use two antennas, one, the tusty allround discone. I forget who makes this one I have up now but it's a good solid built unit that cost around $80. The other is an Arrow Antennas Jpole, cheap, strong and although not made for it, it does surprisingly well on 800Mhz. It realy ups the HP-1's reception though on VHF High and UHF 400Mhz. The one I have is this one : arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html It's on the back of the house and around 35' up. The discones a bit higher on a tower around 70'. Both get great results. On the discone I have recieved Ohio MARCS from around 60 miles away and Seymour Indiana SAFET site also near 60 miles away. On the HP-1 the other morning I heard Michigan City dispatch a medical emergency on VHF High from 137 miles away and regularly I hear Ft Wayne dispatch 90 miles away with the Jpole. Both are great antennas, but they are only as good as the coax too. I use LMR400 for all coax runs.

John

Re:Outside antennas 05 Oct 2010 22:59 #836

• Saber
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I own a never opened Scan-Log Antenna and a five-Band Scanner Antenna. I have no idea what bands the Scan-Log covers but the other covers these bands. Can these two antennas be used effectively with HP-1 for my home installation? I was thinking of using some sort of antenna switch and running them from my makeshift home office.

Low VHF 30-50 MHZ
High VHF 148-174 MHZ
UHF 450-470 VHZ
470-512 MHZ
800-912 MHZ

I was planning on hooking both up in a similar fashion as you have. However, I have been reading great reviews about the FERRET so I am very tempted to try it instead. In fact, I was also considering LMR-600 Ultra Flex. I sold a 100-feet of the 600 about 2-yrs ago thinking I would never use it. Sometimes I can never win. BTW: Maybe the LMR-600 is overkill since I see most of you power users are using LMR-400.
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010 09:16 by Saber. Reason: typo fix

Re:Outside antennas 06 Oct 2010 01:02 #861

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
I use one antenna for the radios in the house, the other for my shop out back. In the house I run three scanners off the JPole with a Stridesburg multicoupler. Out in the shop 16 radios are fed by the discone through a Digital Loggers Inc 16 channel multicoupler. All coax connections are LMR400 but 600 would work too :)

Not sure about the first antenna you mention but it can't hurt to try it, you never know til you try! The second should work fine for you.

Re:Outside antennas 07 Oct 2010 17:36 #1023

• 105fixer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All,

I use a AntennaCraft ST2 that is up 25 feet and can get signals from 60 miles away. My Pro2006 on the same antenna can't pick up signals passed about 30. I'm impressed with the HP1.

Richard

Re:Outside antennas 07 Oct 2010 17:51 #1024

• Saber
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
That is encouraging. My older Uniden with a DISCONE would pick up the San Diego Sheriffs Office (Station-M) nearly 200-miles away! Perhaps it was simply some skip but I about fell out of my chair when I heard the traffic! I know this was the case since I was a deputy with the SDSO back when revolvers ruled. I am almost more excited to receive the FERRET antenna than the HP-1. Both are inbound to my house as I type.

Once I get the tower set up I may well install all three of my antennas to see if there is any real difference. I have the 5-band mentioned above, along with the never used ‘Scan-Log’ (Log-Periodic) which doesn’t mention anything in the documentation as to freq. and my high dollar FERRET. Actually, I think the one without freq. specs is just a high-bird Yagi TV antenna with many more copper lattice components. What ever it is, it does look fancy. The price of $75.00 is marked on the box and that is from 10+ years ago and never opened until today.

BTW: My 5-band looks very similar to the ST2 although the single vertical element is slightly longer and the entire array seems to be a tad fancier as well. Perhaps they just made them heavier back then.

SIDEBAR:
Hey JOHN,
Is there any problem with mounting all three on a light duty tower without conflicting with each other? I plan on buying the same antenna switch you have but I need more specifics. What model do you recommend? Dang, I wish the forum provided a PM feature.
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010 21:26 by Saber.

Re:Outside antennas 07 Oct 2010 20:17 #1043

• 105fixer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All,

I use a AntennaCraft ST2 that is up 25 feet and can get signals from 60 miles away. My Pro2006 on the same antenna can't pick up signals passed about 30. I'm impressed with the HP1.

Richard
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds