Outside antennas
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Outside antennas

Re:Outside antennas 16 Oct 2010 22:54 #1786

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
lol, yeah, mine too, even a laptop, gets crowded when I have my friends girls with, 4 kids, laptop, 4 scanners and two ham radios in an Accord.....

Re:Outside antennas 16 Oct 2010 23:41 #1793

• Shell
  • ( Visitor )
Hahaha John!! I think I'd be claustrophobic. ACK! Hahaa

What I actually meant is that the car itself has a lot of electronics...the only "inside the car" installs I have are for the scanner antenna , one VHF antenna and one UHF antenna. I also have a VHF radio and a UHF radio installed which I need for work. Both have remote heads with the bodies mounted in the trunk. The remote heads are moved to the front, when needed. But other than those, there's nothing else inside the car - just the BMW electronics which are pretty complicated and extensive (and heaven knows I do NOT want to void the warranty!). I'm using the Antennex (now Laird), stealthy UHF antenna, which I like a lot! (I did NOT want some big, tall UHF antenna! LOL) It's only about 6" or so high. I really don't like having a bunch of antennas on my car, but I need the three, so I made sure they were all black and they don't look too bad - my car's black. *grin*

Shell

Re:Outside antennas 17 Oct 2010 01:30 #1798

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Antennas....I only have 4 of them....lol Nothing to worry about warranty wise for me, they are all well out of warranty. Car, truck and two Jeep Cherokee's. One Jeep is offroad use only though, it gets trailered everywhere it goes to play. I also can put whatever radios I want in it when I go play. That may change though as were putting a new cage in it this winter as I decided on a different design.

Re:Outside antennas 20 Oct 2010 18:43 #2053

• UltraClassic
  • ( Visitor )
I have my HP-1, along with 5 other scanners, connected to a roof-mounted ST-2 antenna with an old GRE Super Amplifier 3001 in-line between the radios and the antenna. I live in northern NJ in a valley about 30 miles northwest of NYC and can hear most of the northern third of NJ. I can also hear all of NYC, Orange, Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam counties in NY. Because of my physical location my older Unidens usually go deaf once I turn off the amp but not my HP-1.

I must admit I've never used my HP-1 with the supplied antenna!

Re:Outside antennas 20 Oct 2010 20:54 #2060

• Shell
  • ( Visitor )
Gee, y'all make me feel like I need to go out and buy about 4 more antennas! :ohmy: But with 4 amateur antennas up there, besides the Austin Ferret, my weather station and the lightning detection system, my husband would literally throw a fit if I put *anything* else on the roof - seriously! Hahaa But I would like to have at least one more - maybe when we retire.

UltraClassic, sounds as though you're getting the same great reception many of the rest of us are! I've had the radio now for 2 weeks, I think it is, and I'm still in awe of the things I'm picking up. I've been really busy this week but late this afternoon I put together two favorite lists specifically for long distance cities and/towns (60-75 mile radius). I made sure I had a good mix between departments which I knew would have both strong and not so strong transmissions. Of the 40 agencies/departments I put on my lists, there were only 2 I didn't hear and only one or two on each which I had trouble hearing. The rest I could hear almost as well as the departments here in the St. Louis metro area. This radio still amazes me!

Shell

Re:Outside antennas 20 Oct 2010 21:18 #2061

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Uh? 4 antenna's, naw, just 2.....well at the moment, another going up in a couple months. But I run 16 radios off 1 DLI Multicoupler in the shop and 4 scanners off a Stridesburg multicoupler in the house. Keeps the neighbors quiet with fewer antennas, they don't get all paranoid that I am going to have an antenna farm. Ooops, forgot one, the long wire, but they don't even notice it :)
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds