What info is HP giving
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: What info is HP giving

What info is HP giving 18 May 2011 17:54 #5886

• darticus
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
What does the screen tell me in the air service section.
The top section was saying- New York (ZNY) AIR ROUTE TRAFFIC CONTROL C...
The middle section was reading- RCAG SITES-PA-ELK MOUNTAIN,PA RCAG
The bottom section was saying- SECTOR 36 SPARTA LOW.
I heard something about a plane having 56 souls and bad running gear but I don't know what to look for on the screen for plane info. Would this plane with info above be in the Sparta Area, my area. The statement came from a local Fire dept. Ron
Last Edit: 18 May 2011 18:05 by darticus.

Re:What info is HP giving 18 May 2011 20:24 #5887

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Also in the bottom section you will find the frequency. That's pretty much the most important part. All the rest is "fluff" in my opinion.

Unlike a "traditional" scanner, the HP-1 does not prioritize showing you the frequency. It mainly shows you the database's entries for that frequency to accurately describe its use. This is most useful for state, county and agency identification and somewhat less useful for the nationwide air route traffic control centers.

The 3 lines of text describe the category assigned to the particular database entry at RadioReference.com and may not describe exactly where the airplane is; just what the database has programmed in about that frequency.

I'm not sure I really understand what you're looking for in the HP-1's screen. It's only displaying static text saved in the database after-all, not live info about what you're hearing.

The best way to handle this, in my opinion, is to get 3rd party software and create your own favorites list with the desired frequencies in it and the descriptions YOU assign to them.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast
Last Edit: 18 May 2011 20:27 by st-bob.

Re:What info is HP giving 19 May 2011 06:21 #5888

• darticus
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Is it a coincidence it says Sparta or is the plane landing or going there? Ron

Re:What info is HP giving 19 May 2011 07:23 #5889

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
The New York ARTCC (Air Route Traffic Control Center) is where the transmission from controller to aircraft originates. That's what the top line tells you. New York Center is abbreviated as ZNY in pilot's jargon.

The second line indicates the transmission is coming from the Elk Mountain PA RCAG. Remote Communications Air/Ground facilities (RCAG) are unmanned VHF/UHF transmitter/receiver facilities which are used to expand ARTCC air/ground communications coverage and to facilitate direct contact between pilots and controllers.

The third line indicates the particular frequency is used for "Sector 36 - Sparta Low" which would be the sector covering the general area of radar coverage in which Sparta is located. The "low" designation means planes below 29,000 feet are on this frequency. It does not mean the aircraft was coming or going to Sparta; just that the plane was in that sector controller's area. It could be going anywhere.

When you want to hear an aircraft going to or from a specific airport, you need to monitor the airport's tower frequency. Once the aircraft is outside the immediate vicinity of the airport or is under instrument flight rules (IFR) they talk to radar controllers usually located in ARTCC facilities covering large geographical areas. Most planes still fly on designated "Air Routes" between specific points. Air Route Traffic Control Centers are regional radar control facilities which take responsibility for and control the altitude, direction of flight and speed of all aircraft communicating with them.

You will find that the present state of the HP1's aircraft database is somewhat sparsely populated with local airports. You may need to either enter the frequencies/locations into the RadioReference database (if you know them) or purchase 3rd party software to add them manually to your scanner under a favorites list. At present there is no way to add frequencies to the HP-1's internal database directly from the scanner or with the included software (HomePatrol Sentinel).

I hope this answers some of your questions. I suggest you do some Google searches for the terms ARTCC, RCAG and aircraft communications for more information on what and how pilots and controllers communicate.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re:What info is HP giving 19 May 2011 14:15 #5895

• darticus
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Now thats a great bunch of info. Thanks that answers a lot.
Now another question. What if I find info in the HP thats not in the right spot and has to be changed. I found Butler in Morris County NJ giving info for the Dover fire department and should be listed under Dover not under Butler. There is no Butler info in the section. No Butler police or fire etc. What should I do? Thanks Ron

Re:What info is HP giving 19 May 2011 15:10 #5897

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
You would submit a correction by going to:
www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1784 and clicking on SUBMIT in the upper left side of the page.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds