Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA?

Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA? 29 Jul 2010 13:16 #72

• Morbius
  • ( Visitor )
I don't currently own a radio, but listen online to local police and air traffic. I like the idea of this new HP-1 unit, as the complexity of programming a radio is part of what's kept me from buying one. So I'm definitely thinking about trying this when it becomes available.

Anyway, I came to the HP site to look around, and entered my zip code into the page that supposedly shows me which channels I would be able to receive. While I think I found the right local police channels there, what I didn't find was anything relating to air traffic control from Denver International Airport. Since I'm around 30 miles from the airport (zip 80233), I figured maybe I didn't get anything listed for them because of the distance. So instead I entered the zip code directly from DIA's location, 80249. But I still didn't see anything come up in the channel listing that would supposedly be traffic from the tower and airplanes at DIA.

So I don't know if I'm just not reading the channel listing on this site right, or if this unit really wouldn't be able to pick up any of that traffic. Can anyone do a similar search and tell me if you get back any channels that would indeed allow me to listen to tower and plane communications from DIA?

Re:Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA? 29 Jul 2010 13:22 #74

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
HomePatrol-1 can certainly receive air band frequencies. Did a quick check, and no one has collated / submitted the frequencies for DIA. Oddly enough, Front Range Airport is in the database.

As information is submitted and processed, the database will get better (as will HomePatrol-1's choices).

Note that you probably will not receive tower comms, though, even if the frequencies are entered. The ground sites typically have low-profile antennas that point up to the sky...unlike public safety and similar services where they put an antenna way up in the air to provide ground coverage. It isn't unusual to need to be just a couple of miles away to hear tower comms from the ground. Airplanes, OTOH, having an antenna several miles up, can be received from far and wide.

Re:Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA? 29 Jul 2010 15:06 #76

• Morbius
  • ( Visitor )
OK, if you think those DIA frequencies will ultimately be available, that's what I would hope for. I guess I thought the idea was that the HP-1 basically had access to whatever was the RadioReference.Com database, and since that is exactly where I currently access and listen to DIA traffic online, it seemed weird that it didn't pull in as available on this site. But I'll just wait and see what changes occur when the unit is actually released, and hopefully those frequencies will be available then! Thanks for the followup.

Re:Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA? 29 Jul 2010 15:09 #77

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
The feed is there, but the frequencies have not been collected / put in the RadioReference database (feeds and database are independent parts of the RadioReference site).

Re:Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA? 29 Jul 2010 18:15 #82

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Actually, I was looking for DIA in the zip code you provided. But, that zip code isn't in Denver County (where the airport is). Lindsay (runs RadioReference) pointed out that DIA is in the database and would be selected (the entire airport has a 5-mile radius assigned, so as long as you set your location / range in HP-1 to overlap that area, it would be selected).

As noted on the web page, the systems / channels shown on the web site don't currently align exactly with what HP-1 will do (but that is something that is being worked on).
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2010 18:22 by UPMan.

Re:Will this thing pickup air traffic from DIA? 29 Jul 2010 19:07 #85

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
You should be able to get not only DIA but Colorado Springs as well, and several military installations too. So you should have plenty of aircraft to hear.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds