Miami_Dade encryption progress?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Miami_Dade encryption progress?

Miami_Dade encryption progress? 05 May 2012 19:12 #9477

• wb4dyu
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
When Harris Corp got the contract to build a new system for Miami-Dade, which offers "100% end-to end encryption", no one had, or was willing to give info on start-up date or what would be encrypted.

1. Does anyone have more info on this?

2. Will the City of Miami be going to encryption as well?

3. Does RR have this new 700 mhz system in the database...I can't find it.?

here is a link that addrersses some info about the new system.

www.harris.com/view_pressrelease.asp?act=lookup&pr_id=3423

Interesting excerpt from a Harris Corp. press release from March 22, 2010.

The new Harris P25IP system will serve more than 80 agencies and 31,000 users throughout the county, including the Miami-Dade Police Department, Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department, and Miami International Airport. The new system will continue to interoperate with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue's conventional VHF system. The P25IP system will operate in parallel with the county's existing EDACS system, providing a smooth transition for the county's users during the upgrade to the digital system. The Harris customized migration plan allows for the reuse of existing shelters, towers and generators.
Last Edit: 05 May 2012 19:24 by wb4dyu.

Re: Miami_Dade encryption progress?http://www.radi 06 May 2012 19:41 #9480

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7073

This Miami-Date P25 system with a Harris contract seems to be the one you are looking for.It has been in the rr.db since Dec 2011 with a request to users to submit Talk Groups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wb4dyu

SAD DAY-encryption has begun in Miami-Dade. 22 Jun 2012 03:49 #9684

• tortslaw
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Today I spoke two Miami-Dade police officers carrying their new Harris radios. One officer told me that they are NOT working well. All transmissions are delayed and not received in real time, according to them. I am sure that Harris will iron out the bugs in this multi-million dollar system. I suspect that the simulcast of conventional trunking and the total conversion to Harris' encryption capable radios will come in the next year or so. Sad for us scanner folks.
This the trend nationwide for police/fire in many areas.
Last Edit: 22 Jun 2012 03:51 by tortslaw.

Re: SAD DAY-encryption has begun in Miami-Dade. 22 Jun 2012 13:23 #9685

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Ah the end of an era. I never did learn how/who started them Years ago using Q - signals in their dispatches but it used to amuse me to hear QTH, QSL etc from the Miami metro dispatchers.

Re: SAD DAY-encryption has begun in Miami-Dade. 16 Feb 2013 06:51 #11146

• Lewellyn26
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
QSL is the stations ID

Re: SAD DAY-encryption has begun in Miami-Dade. 17 Feb 2013 15:13 #11159

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't undestand your comment. QSL is the "Q" signal (from the ITU Radio Regulations) that means (more or less) the same as APCO brevity code 10-4. That is, an acknowledgement of a message received.

As far as I know, it has nothing to do with the "station ID."

My point was that the "Q" signals have been around for many years but it was unusual to hear them used by voice dispatchers on a public safety system, that was an odd feature of Miami PD.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds