Cook/Dupage counties
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Cook/Dupage counties

Cook/Dupage counties 16 Oct 2010 23:40 #1792

• Robert Klamp
  • ( Visitor )
Things are going pretty smooth right now with the home patrol 1 in the Chicago area. Especially with StarCom21 if you use the GPS with this unit and set your ranges and services correctly (or however works best for you) Driving around the state just got alot easier. while driving and using the GPS kit with it StarCom21 coverage is awesome also has very clear P25 voice decoding so if you drive alot in Illinois period not just the Chicago area I think you would be very pleased with this scanner. The two top selling points for the unit with me were 1. The large touch screen display and 2. Its ready to go right out of the box either input you location or plug in the GPS and your off no programming of coordinates they are already preloaded. With updates coming in from radio reference on a regular basis and the ease of updating the radios data base made it a great addition to my already to big collection of radios. So anybody in Illinois who is wondering if its worth it I would say it is definitely and if you do find a mistake in your area radio reference and Uniden work very hard and fast to have it corrected by next update release.

Any body else in Illinois have any comments on their home patrol unit?,
Sincerely,
Robert Klamp Jr.

Re:Cook/Dupage counties 26 Oct 2010 14:30 #2367

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
I sometimes travel thru Illinois via Chicago area heading SW to
St. Louis to visit friends in Arkansas. I've been frustrated
these last 3-4 years, as my scanner first was not digital,
and then i have to keep re-entering all kinds of different
channels for Illinois, then Missouri, and lastly Arkansas.
Based on your discussion, I should hear a lot in Illinois,
particularly the digital signals in and around Chicago for
the Illinois State Police? I think an HP-1 will be on my
Xmas list!!! DUKE, WB9OJD, Wisconsin

Re:Cook/Dupage counties 29 Nov 2010 11:55 #3343

• dmicelli
  • ( Visitor )
Hey Robert - my town is supposed to be joining the Starcom network, will I be able to narrow down to only my town if I want to? Don't have a scanner yet and didn't want to jump on the HP-1 if it has limitations of sorts that won;t allow me to narrow down when I want to only listen to my town (up in lake county). Thanks!

Re:Cook/Dupage counties 29 Nov 2010 21:59 #3356

• Robert Klamp
  • ( Visitor )
it definetly works good for starcom21 which is what the Illinois State police use for their communications. chicago is still analog so you shouldnt have a problem with either or. if you want to listen to just starcom you can put all of starcom21 in a favorites list and use the gps. This eliminates any other random frequencies in the area that mite become annoying or overwhelming. I have many favorite lists and you can trim them down and customize them with ARC Patrol software which in my opinion is a great program and well worth the twenty bucks. So if you go and get one let me and the rest of illinois how your experience was here on the board.

Hope this helpful,
robert klamp

Re:Cook/Dupage counties 29 Nov 2010 22:15 #3358

• Robert Klamp
  • ( Visitor )
The above answer was in reply to Duke, sorry dmicelli didn't mean to skip over you. The answer is yes you can set up a favorites list just for your area it can include any trunked or conventional frequencies that you want to monitor so you could just have one favorite list with your local pd being dispatched on StarCom21 and your local FD on there conventional vhf dispatch channel and nothing else. then make another one that includes more for your surrounding area. Your favorite lists can be as big or as small as you want them and are completely customizable. Also this can all be performed either through the scanner or the Uniden supplied Sentinel software, also as i mentioned above the arc patrol software is nice to have if you want to personally edit you favorites list by adding channels that are not in the database or changing channel tag or even pl/nac tones if you want. if you do get one let us know how it works out for you. im in the Chicago metro area and really do like the way it works with the GPS and all. I just still feel its lacking a couple of features that id like to see but those thing are mostly correctable now by using the arc patrol software.

let us know what you think,
Robert Klamp

Re:Cook/Dupage counties 11 Dec 2010 10:05 #3591

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Just thought I'd let you know, next time I
go thru Illinois, I'll be doing it with
an HP! Just got delivery of one for Xmas!
Got the GPS, interconnect cable, HP and
BNC adapter to join it to my all-band
antenna on the car! Away we go!!! DUKE
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds