Part Time ENC
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Part Time ENC

Part Time ENC 29 Jul 2010 07:12 #59

• Del1964
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Just wondering how the HP will handle "part time" ENC communications. I was listening to Shelbyville Dispatch yesterday at lunchtime and it was ENC....short time later communications were in the clear. Apparently they have the ability to switch back and forth and so I wonder if other agencies down the road will have this capability and if so and RR has the frequency marked as "ENC", will it be skipped? My personal preference would be to have the HP "include" the freq's marked as ENC and simply mute them if ENC is present.....or have it buried in the menus to include ENC maybe as an advanced feature....with a "secret" combination of button presses for us more advanced listeners...
And I don't know if this is actually in the proper thread....maybe this should have been in General questions/concerns.
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2010 07:44 by Del1964.

Re:Part Time ENC 29 Jul 2010 08:37 #61

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
It will depend on how the channel is flagged in RRDB. If it is marked as "E" (encrypted) then it will not be loaded into HomePatrol's database. If it is marked as "D" then you'll hear the "in the clear" digital comms...and I am not sure at this time what it will do for "E". This isn't a situation that has come up in testing.

Re:Part Time ENC 29 Jul 2010 09:07 #63

• Del1964
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Just something interesting. I looked on the RR Database and all of Washington County talkgroups on Indiana SAFET are marked as "D" mode but I know for sure that some only broadcast in ENC mode
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2010 09:08 by Del1964.

Re:Part Time ENC 29 Jul 2010 09:38 #64

• KE4ZNR
  • ( Moderator )
  • Uniden Radio Guru
Del1964--
Please submit the correct info so that the talkgroups can be updated.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Re:Part Time ENC 29 Jul 2010 10:02 #65

• Del1964
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Will do. I'll confirm again over the next week or so and then submit.

Re:Part Time ENC 29 Jul 2010 11:21 #68

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
DeL1964

They were simply testing the encryption on the Shelby Co Sheriff TG (not Shelbyville - two different consoles and dispatchers). Both the county and city have encryption capability now, but it will not be used full time so as long as scannerfreak doesn't change the D to an E there won't be an issue with the database and the HomePatrol.
And FYI, anyone with encryption on SAFET has the ability to turn it on or off with the push of a button. I was told the county isn't planning on full time use of encryption but it's there now if they want to use it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds