(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Michigan State Police & Detroit Police programming

Michigan State Police & Detroit Police programming 01 Oct 2013 01:29 #12563

• Peterjames
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello All,

Can anyone help me program my Home Patrol to listen to the Detroit Police and the Michigan State Police? I can't seem to get anything from Detroit and I'm confused as to which department and channels to program for either department. I live in MSP District 2 and just outside of Detroit in Macomb County Mi.

Thanks

Re: Michigan State Police & Detroit Police programming 04 Oct 2013 00:57 #12569

• DBN
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
I'm not sure what you mean by program. I assume you know that you enter your zip code and download all frequencies/channels/systems in your area. Then you narrow down the thousands of channels HP1 will find with the Sentinel software.

Detroit is on the MPSCS (Michigan Public Service Communication System). Most report hit and miss (mostly miss unfortunately) success in monitoring them. Detroit has it's own simulcast system that is difficult to monitor. This has been written about alot on radioreference.com - check that out for further info. I'm in Dearborn and I don't have them enabled since the reception is fairly poor.

MSP is on the MPSCS system too. I hear them just fine. I hear them off the Northville tower which is not a simulcast tower. Once you narrow down what you actually want to listen to, disable all MPSCS towers the HP1 is scanning except the one that you are getting the best signal from. That works best for me. It takes some tinkering and patience, but once you figure out the Sentinel software and the HP1 itself, it recieves pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Re: Michigan State Police & Detroit Police programming 05 Oct 2013 00:01 #12571

• Peterjames
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your reply DBN,

I'm slowly figuring out how to use the HP1. Yes I've read some forums about how difficult it can be to hear Detroit. But i'm confused as to why and is there a way to hear them on HP1? I keep reading about towers. What are these and how do I know which ones I'm listening to on HP1?

Sorry but I have no idea where else to ask these questions.

Thanks

Re: Michigan State Police & Detroit Police programming 05 Oct 2013 21:39 #12572

• DBN
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Towers are the actual radio towers that broadcast the digital signal that your scanner receives and converts into a 'voice' that you can understand. The towers are also referred to as sites. The Detroit site is actual a bunch of towers broadcasting the same thing - a simulcast. Simulcast signals are apparently difficult for scanners to decode. I'm not sure why...I'm just a casual user.

On the HP1 lock onto the MPSCS system by tapping it and turning the bar yellow. Then tap the arrow on the far right of the bar. Tap advanced. Tap site information. Youll see all of the MPSCS sites across the state. The ones your scanner is 'listening' to (which you told to listen to with your zip code and range) will NOT be highlighted in the red color. Pick a site and tap it. Tap site frequencies. Tap each frequency. One of these will be the control channel for that site. You have to hear this loud and clear to hear this site. Most frequencies will just be static. If you get a solid signal from the control channel, site specific info will display, and the sound will be what sounds like an idling diesel truck. This tell you you are getting a good signal from that site. You may get good signals from more than one site, but I find it works best to use one and avoid others so your scanner isnt receiving the same signal from more than one site. Good luck....
Last Edit: 05 Oct 2013 21:41 by DBN. Reason: Deleted original posters question

Re: Michigan State Police & Detroit Police programming 05 Oct 2013 21:57 #12573

• DBN
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I forgot to mention...the colors of the site name under 'site information' change when you are in a favorites list. The active sites in a favorites list are red, and the avoided ones are orange.

If you are using the full database and entering a zip code and then finding sites, all sites will be red, and the ones that are being monitored are black or un-colored.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peterjames

Re: Michigan State Police & Detroit Police programming 06 Oct 2013 05:57 #12575

• Peterjames
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again DBN. I'm finally listening to DPD. Your advice was helpful and much appreciated. Still a lot to learn and still not sure how people on the forums know which towers they're listening to but I'll learn....slowly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds