New to scanning
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to scanning

New to scanning 28 Jul 2010 00:24 #30

• CaptBW
  • ( Visitor )
I am new to the scanner hobby. I was about to pull the trigger on a BC346XT on ebay when I came across info about the Home Patrol. Now I am waiting patiently? for the October 1st debut.

Re:New to scanning 28 Jul 2010 00:39 #31

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
I think you will be happy with the choice to wait a bit longer. What Part of Michigan are you in?

Re:New to scanning 28 Jul 2010 20:34 #56

• CaptBW
  • ( Visitor )
Traverse City area.

Re:New to scanning 28 Jul 2010 20:43 #57

• KE4ZNR
  • ( Moderator )
  • Uniden Radio Guru
CaptBW wrote:
I am new to the scanner hobby. I was about to pull the trigger on a BC346XT on ebay when I came across info about the Home Patrol. Now I am waiting patiently? for the October 1st debut.

Welcome to the hobby! :)

I think if you can wait a little longer then the Home Patrol might be right up
your alley. Just understand that the 346XT is an analog only radio which may not work
in your area. The Home Patrol 1 will be able to handle both analog & digital voice formats
so that may be another reason to wait. Like the gentleman above asks, if you tell
us what area/city you are interested in monitoring we might be able help you better
choose which radio might work best.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Re:New to scanning 28 Jul 2010 23:12 #58

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Looking at the RR DB Traverse City has a lot of VHF, some UHF and LTR and EDACS trunking. But then add in the state and you get into the statewide P25 digital system MPSC and the county has several talk groups assigned to them on that system as well, and all state police activity is also on the statewide system.
So if you want to hear everything including the state police (and other state agencies) you would definately need a digital capable scanner. The advantage of the HomePatrol would be you don't need to know the systems specifics to program the HomePatrol making for a few less headaches for you. Just punch in the zipcode and start scanning!

Re:New to scanning 29 Jul 2010 16:52 #79

• hsstibel
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
I live in Michigan but am also a few miles from the Ohio border. Will there be a way for the HP to load both areas from each State or will this have to be done manually. Also, will this also be capable of picking up U.S. Coast Guard frequencies? I am in the 48157 Zip code. Thank you, Howard
Last Edit: 29 Jul 2010 16:55 by hsstibel.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds