Location Data in Missouri
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Location Data in Missouri

Location Data in Missouri 01 Oct 2010 17:41 #511

• Conrad314
  • ( Visitor )
Looking through the location reports for Missouri...well we AREN'T looking to good.

Most of the counties I checked on do not have Geotags.

If anyone is going to buy a Home Patrol I recommend submitting location data and lets get the Missouri RRDB up to speed!

I have submitted numerous location updates in Missouri and am pleased to see the the RR administrators are quickly taking care of the updates. So thank you for that!

However we still have a ways to go.

Happy Scanning!

Re:Location Data in Missouri 02 Oct 2010 08:36 #542

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Note that if the systems or conventional channel groups are tied to a specific county, then they'll "inherit" that county's location data until more specific data is entered. Every county in the US has location data.

The biggest problem gaps are multi-county or statewide systems that cannot inherit from a county. It is most important for these to get location data for sites and Talk Group categories.

Re:Location Data in Missouri 09 Oct 2010 12:36 #1149

• Shell
  • ( Visitor )
Conrad314, re the geocodes, etc. some things to take into consideration...Missouri, like several other states, has a significant amount of rural area, a lot of which hasn't been geocoded...it can be difficult to do. There is also the new MO statewide radio system beginning installation NOW. The installation begins in AREA E (Cape) and will be likely be moving north and/or northeast from there. But the point is that there may and likely will be a number of frequency changes over the next few years. Any department which is not P25 compliant will need to become so if they wish to be able to be included in the new statewide emergency radio system.

As for the larger towns and cities, that just takes a little more time to enter in the geotags, but it's not by any means impossible. I have my HP-1 up and running just fine. Sure, there are mistakes but submitting them to RR will have the mistakes quickly corrected! I'm in the St. Louis metro area. Our metro area includes adjoining counties in Illinois. (As would the Kansas City metro area include counties in Kansas.) So our "monitoring" is multi-state and geotagging can be even more complicated. But it's certainly not impossible and already the HP-1 has some of our adjoining Illinois counties included. I was pleasantly surprised!

But this is very much a joint effort. Those of us who live and/or travel through the very areas which need updated data and geocodes can provide them. That's what makes the HP-1 a great radio and continue to do so.

Shell

Re:Location Data in Missouri 12 Oct 2010 10:02 #1379

• Conrad314
  • ( Visitor )
I agree with you Shell!

Re:Location Data in Missouri 12 Oct 2010 10:19 #1381

• Shell
  • ( Visitor )
Thanks, Conrad!

I don't know that I would go so far as to recommend that someone wait to buy the HP-1 before all or most of the updating is done to the RR database. (Particularly in MO where we'll be having changes over the next couple of years!) I've found it's quite easy to find where the mistakes are when using the HP-1 - much easier than the "conventional" scanners we've been using. Because of that, one is able to compile a list of changes significantly faster than we ever could before!

Shell
Last Edit: 12 Oct 2010 10:30 by .

Re:Location Data in Missouri 12 Oct 2010 19:17 #1421

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Radio systems are constantly changing, RR has always been updating systems so things are constantly changing there as well, telling people to wait isn't a good idea because it's a never ending cycle.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds