HP reception
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: HP reception

HP reception 21 Sep 2011 22:13 #7606

• oldno7
  • ( Visitor )
My reception problem is receiving McKinney, Lewisville/Coppell, Northeast Tarrant County (Grapevine, Bedford, Colleyville, Euless, Keller, Southlake) trunked systems. I have updated to the 2.01 version firmware. It even says so in the advanced menu version information. When I first got the HP it wouldn't pull in Plano but a database update fixed that. I now receive the PAWM system, Plano, Allen, Wylie and Murphy. I am able to receive all of the other trunked systems around here that I know of. Any ideas what needs to be updated ?

Re:HP reception 22 Sep 2011 09:36 #7608

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Is the issue one of reception or one of selection?

What is your physical location (assuming it is reception)?
Using the on-unit antenna or external?
Inside a building, in a car, outside?

Re:HP reception 22 Sep 2011 13:41 #7611

• oldno7
  • ( Visitor )
I have the on unit antenna in the car, on the dash (in the window) with the GPS accessory attached. I can see some of the systems going by like it is scanning them but it never stops on anything. This is just with the systems I mentioned. I have used it without the GPS accessory attached by just plugging in zip codes. It has very good reception of weak, distant signals with just the on unit antenna so that doesn't seem to be the problem so I guess it's more of a selection issue.

Re:HP reception 22 Sep 2011 14:14 #7612

• oldno7
  • ( Visitor )
Forgot to mention my home 20 is in Richardson. I live a couple of blocks east of Richardson Square Mall. Listening to those systems isn't as much of an issue when I'm home but I can still pick up systems like Rockwall and Carrollton with the stock, attached antenna.

Re:HP reception 22 Sep 2011 16:01 #7613

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Well, if you are seeing the systems flash by (and are receiving them at another location), then it is reception (i.e. the systems are being selected, but you are not receiving them).

So, my first two suggestions are always the same:

1) Make sure you are running the latest (2.01) firmware.

2) Make sure you are using the latest database release (9/11/2011).

You can check both by MENU --> ADVANCED MENU --> VERSION INFORMATION. This just keeps us from chasing ghosts and may or may not have any bearing.

Next would be to check with a different antenna, if possible.

There are some other things you can do using the Extreme Update (for example, tune to the control channel in RF POWER PLOT mode and check different antennas, different antenna positions, wiggle the antenna, etc).

Many cars have a metalized film in the windshield to cut UV and glare...this can greatly attenuate the signal getting into the car. For this reason, I use a relatively inexpensive mag mount antenna I got at Fry's when I'm in the car. You might try driving somewhere where the reception is dicey and taking it out of the car to see if that improves things.

Those systems have a fairly small receivable footprint (they are designed to only have 100% reception within the boundary of the jurisdiction).

Re:HP reception 23 Sep 2011 00:04 #7614

• oldno7
  • ( Visitor )
When I'm at home in Richardson I don't expect to pick up McKinney, Lewisville or Northeast Tarrant with the stock antenna but when I'm traveling through those towns I would expect to pick up some traffic but I never have. Those towns are large enough and busy enough I should be able to pick up something when I'm in the city limits but it's not happening. I updated the software and firmware on Wednesday September 21st and went riding through some of these towns to see what would happen. Nothing. ??? I've picked up Mesquite and Rowlett when I was in Carrollton and I can pick up Carrollton when I'm in Richardson with the stock antenna and the HP sitting on the dashboard so I'm pretty sure it's not the windshield.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds