Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area

Re:Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area 08 Dec 2010 13:32 #3545

• 1Tinscan
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Hey dhmann911...are you having any luck with hearing the NPS around the local area? I have not heard anything at all. I just sent a message to Mikeoxlong about this in the other area of discussion. I'm not sure about the two mile radius as this park is so spread out, from Fredericksburg, through Spotsy, Chancellorsville, and the Wilderness...almost to Orange. I'm wondering about the other frequency that is not listed in the database. I recall that we had two frequencies, one for a repeater and one for car to car...but that was in the 1970's, so a lot has probably changed. I see the parks now listed, but I have no bars at all. Although the Rangers are not on the radio as much as the Sheriff's department, I know that they are on there sometimes. I don't know...just not enough knowledge on my part. I successfully downloaded the update from yesterday, so I know that is not the issue. Let me know. Oh...I also ordered a Diamond SRH789 Antenna which was recommeded by another poster. This may help. Be safe out there!

Re:Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area 08 Dec 2010 20:42 #3561

• dhmann911
  • ( Visitor )
1Tinscan, I usually don't monitor that frequency, however, I will focus on that for the next few days and let you know if I hear something. I will tell you that when I have occasionally monitored them in the past it has been very little radio traffic. You will hear an alarm call at one of there locations or an occasional traffic stop but I remember that it was very limited. I will keep you posted. Also, I have the Diamond SRH789 as well and it works pretty good especially with monitoring VHF.

Re:Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area 09 Dec 2010 16:41 #3566

• 1Tinscan
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the reply dhmann911. I didn't expect to hear much, but I would have thought that I could hear something. I know that the NPS has limited funds and we didn't have much when I worked for them, but we did run radar and made traffic stops. Now that I think about it, we had to run our 28/29's through the city of Fredericksburg...they scanned us and we scanned them. I don't know what changes they have gone through since the 1970's. I'm going to have to hunt down a Ranger and find out. I'm glad that the SRH789 works well...can't wait to get it. I have a list of favorites around Spotsy and I am really enjoying listening in. I'm disappointed that Fredericksburg City Police has voice inversion and I don't pick up the Mary Washington Police well either. I have to say that I still love this little scanner. The VA. State Police sound like they are sitting next to me! I have family and friends that work for the schools, driving buses and dispatching...I enjoy hearing them as well. Every now and then, I pick up Ham operators out of Stafford. I'm sure that the whole system will improve as time goes on. Have a good one!

Re:Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area 29 Aug 2011 21:56 #7173

• jgmcbride
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I have not bout the Home Patrol yet. I am retired LE and was wondering if there is enough traffic to warrant the expenditure?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Joe

Re:Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area 30 Aug 2011 13:55 #7194

• 1Tinscan
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I believe so. I suppose it would depend on where you are located, but I am very happy...all kinds of stuff going on! I am also retired LE, and I love it!

Re:Not receiving STARS in the Fredericksburg area 30 Aug 2011 14:10 #7196

• jgmcbride
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply. I am near Courtland HS. Just wanted to make sure there is something to listen to,lol.
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds