Reception on Portsmouth, va channels
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reception on Portsmouth, va channels

Reception on Portsmouth, va channels 05 Jan 2011 13:11 #4314

• Larry1014
  • ( Visitor )
I just received my new Home Patrol about 30 minutes ago. I live in Portsmouth and it doesn't pick up that good. I have always had this problem with many scanners here. I have Atten turned off. Anybody recommend a decent outside antenna? I was hoping I wouldn't have to put up another one but will if it helps.Anyone live in this area? Tidewater? Sure could use some help setting up favorite list in ARC Patrol or Sentinel also. Thanks in advance.

Re:Reception on Portsmouth, va channels 05 Jan 2011 13:54 #4316

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
You don't say what services you are trying to receive nor what frequencies. However, a good general purpose antenna is a Discone, there are several makers of these, Diamond (a Japanese company) makes one this relatively inexpensive. It is omnidirectional and doesn't have much gain so be sure and use a low loss cable, LMR (Times microwave) is a good brand.
I don't live in VA but I understand that some of that state uses a system which cannot be monitored. You will need some sort of adapter for the cable connection to the SMA, be careful about connecting/disconnection as SMA is NOT designed to take much mechanical strain.

LEP

Re:Reception on Portsmouth, va channels 05 Jan 2011 18:55 #4325

• Larry1014
  • ( Visitor )
Just the police, 800 trunk system. I already bought the adapter. Thanks
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011 18:56 by .

Re:Reception on Portsmouth, va channels 05 Mar 2012 19:55 #9149

• kg4vdz
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
a discone is a ok antenna but it has ZERO gain i use a jet stream dual band vhf uhf base antenna with heliax coax cable and it does wonders on 800 mhz as the higher you go in frequency the more loss you have on coax so you need a antenna with some gain i can hear the virginia stars system fine with some repeater sites over 75 miles away
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds