James Madison University conventional channel
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: James Madison University conventional channel

Re:James Madison University conventional channel 03 Oct 2011 09:28 #7714

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
First, check out Location, Location, Location. It describes the interaction between the range you set and the location data in the database.

As to the Harrisonburg City University channel group, it isn't being loaded because there is no location data in RadioReference for that channel group. Most channel groups are associated with counties, and RRDB automatically created an association between county locations (which they were able to get from the USGS database) and any channel groups in that county. If the channel group does not have its own specific location data, it will "inherit" the location of the county it was in. For the City entity pages like this one, the city did not get location tagged, so the channel groups have nothing to inherit. This can be resolve by adding the location data to the city page. (Actually, if an admin is having to manually mess with this, might as well add specific location data to the channel groups.)

In the meantime, since this is just a single channel, if you have your PC w/Sentinel handy it is pretty simple to add to a custom Favorites List.
Last Edit: 03 Oct 2011 09:34 by UPMan.

Re:James Madison University conventional channel 03 Oct 2011 10:18 #7717

• c5corvette
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
UPMan wrote:
First, check out Location, Location, Location. It describes the interaction between the range you set and the location data in the database.

As to the Harrisonburg City University channel group, it isn't being loaded because there is no location data in RadioReference for that channel group. Most channel groups are associated with counties, and RRDB automatically created an association between county locations (which they were able to get from the USGS database) and any channel groups in that county. If the channel group does not have its own specific location data, it will "inherit" the location of the county it was in. For the City entity pages like this one, the city did not get location tagged, so the channel groups have nothing to inherit. This can be resolve by adding the location data to the city page. (Actually, if an admin is having to manually mess with this, might as well add specific location data to the channel groups.)

In the meantime, since this is just a single channel, if you have your PC w/Sentinel handy it is pretty simple to add to a custom Favorites List.

Paul, I understand that which is explained in "Location Location, Location." That can certainly explain the Augusta and Page County frequencies in rotation.

I have sent a submission to RR to add the location data to the JMU frequencies within Harrisonburg City. Problem is I dont know how to tell if there is data there or not, inherited (which I evidentally cant see) or not.

What I guess I need to know is where in RR online do I look to see if a city or county has location data and where do I look to see if a specific conventional channel has location data (my original question)???

As for PC/Sentinel, my goal is to eventually hook up the GPS I bought and let it do all the work once I get the weekly downloads, but I need to play around manually to find all these errors that will cause me to miss what I want to hear. Manually adding it has already been done, but that doesn't solve the end game of making it work right!

How about an answer to explain why some state agencies (Chesapeake Bay Bridge) are being scanned in rotation and some others are not, when in zip code mode?
Last Edit: 03 Oct 2011 10:24 by c5corvette.

Re:James Madison University conventional channel 03 Oct 2011 10:26 #7718

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Channels don't get individual location data, so what you want to look at are the channel groups (RRDB calls them "subcategories").

Hover your cursor over the little arrow to the right of the subcat name, then select "View Subcategory Details." Or, in the Downloads and Reports tab for the page, select the "Subcategory Location Data Report."

If an agency is not being scanned, then it either consists entirely of unscannable channels (i.e. encrypted), has a location/range that does not overlap your location/range settings, or has no location settings assigned and is not inheriting location data from a "parent" entity.

Re:James Madison University conventional channel 03 Oct 2011 10:39 #7719

• c5corvette
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
UPMan wrote:
[quote]
Hover your cursor over the little arrow to the right of the subcat name, then select "View Subcategory Details." Or, in the Downloads and Reports tab for the page, select the "Subcategory Location Data Report."

quote]

That very clearly answers my original question - thanks Paul!!!

Re:James Madison University conventional channel 06 Oct 2011 07:28 #7759

• c5corvette
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
UPMan:

If this thread should be moved - please do so.

Is it possible for you to detail where the gps data you get for the HP-1 comes from within the db for all types of systems and channels, including trunked and conventional?

I am having trouble grasping the difference between the subcategory level or higer and this 'inherited' phenomenon. Not to confuse the HP-1 owners here, but to explain to you, I am having similar issues learning the ins and outs of GPS scanning with my 996 and the software called FreeScan.

When programming my 996, for some cities when I download conventional, I get system coordinates and for others I get group coordinates.

While I the software author is 'not an expert on RR's innards' - I have asked him to specifically tell me where his software looks in the db for the following info:

1) Trunking 'Site' coordinates?
2) Trunking 'Group' coordinate (for XT models only)?
3) Conventional 'System' coordinates?
4) Conventional 'Group' coordinate (for XT models only)?

Once I know where everyone querying, even if its in RR 'innards' terms, I can talk with the RR folks and figure out where users like me view the same data when browsing the webpage. RR had to provide software folks with info on where to query when they provided them with the protocol for creating a program to interact with the db.

It is imparative that we all understand where this data is stored in RR, how we can browse it on the RR web, how to ask RR Admins to update the proper data when we make a db submission, and how it is also downloaded to each scanner and programming software - or else automated location based scanning will continue to be hit or miss.

Can you answer the same four questions above or more?

Please reply as best you can,
Last Edit: 06 Oct 2011 07:30 by c5corvette.

Re:James Madison University conventional channel 06 Oct 2011 08:46 #7760

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
All the inheritance is done by RRDB, not by us. When we request radio system information, if a geotaggable entity does not have its own location data, RRDB provides to us the inherited data. So, it is not always clear (to other software authors or even to us) the relationship for all levels of inheritance. In general, if you look in RRDB, every county has coordinates. Anything on a county page will either have its own coordinates or will inherit the county coordinates.

For a trunked system, if it is a single county trunked then it could inherit from that county. Within the system, subcategories inherit from the system default location (an admin setting not visible to users).

I think trunked sites currently do not inherit (but if they do, they would inherit from the system default location).
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds