Problem - "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database"
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problem - "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database"

Problem - "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database" 28 Nov 2012 03:12 #10497

• jhord
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm having a strange problem, and have not been able to find any posts on this.

I have 3 computers - a laptop with Windows XP, desktop with XP, and desktop with Windows 8.

Both desktops (Windows XP and Windows 8) load and run the Sentinel software with no problem.

The laptop (windows XP) gets stuck the first time I run it with the pop up window, "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database". The progress bar takes about an hour to complete, and never really completes. The disk drive runs continuously, and I get another Windows popup that says "virtual memory too low". This is the first time I run the software, right after it's installed. I never get to the point where I can plug in the HP or update the database.

The laptop is fully up to date (all updates installed), and runs fine on everything else. I even spent the weekend completely reloading Windows XP, and doing all the updates again, and only installing antivirus and the Sentinel software (downloaded from this site), and the same thing - gets stuck each time I run it on the "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database" window, bringing the laptop pretty much to a halt.

I wanted to use this laptop strictly for programming my HP while on the road.

Any idea why I cannot get the Sentinel software to run? Computer has an AMD processor with 512 Mb of RAM, and like I said, runs fine on everything else.

Re: Problem - "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database" 29 Nov 2012 13:44 #10501

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Sentinel needs over 1GB.

In our engineering department, we were able to use Sentinel on a PC which has CPU=Celeron 1.1GHz, RAM=512MB, Virus Checker=MS-Essentials.
It was very slow and very swapping.

If you extend the swap area, Sentinel may operate.

Re: Problem - "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database" 30 Nov 2012 03:37 #10505

• jhord
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Paul

I increased the page file to 2 GB and 3 GB, and it didn't help much, and even after an hour, it never completed.

Also tried some free memory booster programs, and didn't notice any improvement.

I opened the Windows Task Manager, and in the processes tab the Sentinel software memory usage is over 300K, so apparently my older laptop is not going to work. I'll try a few more things, but it doesn't look promising.

Thanks again for checking in to that.

Re: Problem - "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database" 30 Nov 2012 14:54 #10506

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
You might look into whether a relatively inexpensive memory upgrade is available for your laptop that could bring it to 1GB.

Re: Problem - "Reconstructing HomePatrol Database" 01 Dec 2012 15:03 #10513

• jhord
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, I did that. Can get a 1 GB for $30.

May just get a new basic laptop, since they are going for around $300, or a netbook just for this purpose.

Thanks again for all your help.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds