Extreme greed
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Extreme greed

Extreme greed 20 Jan 2014 23:23 #13158

• mike123
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
What's with the extreme upgrade cost? When I originally bought this unit I don't recall there being any upgrades available, but imagined that when they were available, they would be free, since I already spent $500. Alas, the consumer is taken by the same old corporate greed trick. I knew it was fishy when I first reviewed the sparse options of the HP1...now it makes senses...corporate was just holding out on 80% of the options you would love to have, options which are normally present when you buy a scanner from an honest company. I'm sure this post echoes many others, so no need to respond, just letting y'all know I'm cutting out, selling this pos at a loss. Hey, why not just sell the new units for $600 to begin with? Nah, that would hurt sales. Got it, bye.

Re: Extreme greed 20 Jan 2014 23:33 #13159

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
No idea when you bought yours, but I bought one of the first available, and bought the extreme upgrade as soon as available. At the time it was $50.

I bet that the upgrade was available when you bought yours, if you did any research.

I also bet you don't even know what it does or even have a need for it.

Don't get confused with updates/upgrades. There have been several updates, all free.

Re: Extreme greed 21 Jan 2014 22:18 #13163

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
My experience, I purchased my first HP-1 as soon as it was available. But had no idea there was an EE option, so ordered the download key asap for $50. Found that so valuable when I decided on a second HP-1 I had it fitted with the EE by the dealer but by then it cost an extra $100 but was (is) well worth it for the added features. Never regretted it at all. But, the point is, if you NEED the EE features or not. Some folks would never use them, some folks would never understand HOW to use them.
Some folks, like me, NEED the EE features to expand our monitoring activity...if that is the case,the extra $100 is a real bargain.

Re: Extreme greed 21 Jan 2014 23:14 #13164

• Firengine
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
How much of a loss I'll give you $250 for yours and any other one you can fine, I Love it

Re: Extreme greed 22 Jan 2014 06:19 #13166

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Ok I have seen a lot of negative stuff over the years,even posted some myself long ago but Uniden turned things around since then in a huge way. One thing is having a Project Manager who spends a lot of time on forums reading what users have to say, But when I read this I just couldnt beleve it. No consumer got taken on the HP. It was a completely new design and thought, and R&D isnt cheap, and neither is licensing CODECs and so forthm so the $500 was more than reasonable. Not only that but nothing was missing, the Extreme Upgrade was, and is a group of additional functions to be used by advanced users, not every day things the average user would need or want. The cost of the Extreme Upgrade probably didn't cover the cost of the engineers time that was spent designing it. And it probably took a year or more to get all done.
Uniden is working on different things all the time, that time costs money and that money needs to be made up at some point so a hundred bucks for that Upgrade is well worth it.
And lastly, dont confuse Upgrade with UPDATES. Firmware updates are free and Uniden still does updates even for older units long after other companies would have said buy a newer model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TacticalTom

Re: Extreme greed 02 Feb 2014 18:36 #13243

• scannerguy
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow a post like this would get you banned over at Radio Reference.

The monitors there thinks the world is all roses and unicorns. You have to always agree with them and say ABSOLUTELY nothing NEGATIVE.

I commend Uniden for allowing your post. This is a free country and you sir are allowed to your opinion. I don't totally agree with you but that's my opinion. I wish they would of kept it at 50 bucks which i feel is a fair price.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds