Firmware and Database updates not working.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Firmware and Database updates not working.

Re: Firmware and Database updates not working. 30 Jan 2015 16:22 #14927

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
We aren't blocking IPs. It is possible that your VPN provider is either blocking us, that they don't pass ftp, or that they bandwidth throttle.

Re: Firmware and Database updates not working. 02 Jul 2015 12:01 #15457

• N0AGX
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I am having a problem with the updates with the Home Patrol Sentinel version 2.03 (revision 02). See attached file 1. I am using a satellite provider, HughesNet, as my ISP. The suggested ping test resulted in a minimum of 880ms and a maximum of 1233ms. The trace route is documented in the attached file Sentinel 2. Although I ended up at the correct address, there were timeouts along the way.

I was never successful in checking for updates during program initialization either and had to download the new Sentinel to get an updated database into my HP.

Any ideas? Thank you for your assistance.

Don Downs
Attachments:

Re: Firmware and Database updates not working. 02 Jul 2015 14:13 #15458

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
N0AGX wrote:
I am having a problem with the updates with the Home Patrol Sentinel version 2.03 (revision 02). See attached file 1. I am using a satellite provider, HughesNet, as my ISP. The suggested ping test resulted in a minimum of 880ms and a maximum of 1233ms. The trace route is documented in the attached file Sentinel 2. Although I ended up at the correct address, there were timeouts along the way.

I was never successful in checking for updates during program initialization either and had to download the new Sentinel to get an updated database into my HP.

Any ideas? Thank you for your assistance.

Don Downs

The latency of FTP transfers causing the time-out errors is a known, long standing problem when using satellite ISP services ..... HughesNet seems to be mentioned most often.

The forum is searchable, and you can get some suggestions from others who have had the same problem:

www.homepatrol.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=advsearch&q=Hughes&exactname=1&searchdate=all&childforums=1&limitstart=15&Itemid=38

Re: Firmware and Database updates not working. 02 Jul 2015 21:20 #15461

• N0AGX
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I ended up updating the database using my cell phone and laptop through the phone's hotspot which is not the preferred method as I have to go into town to get a decent signal.

Thank you all for sharing your solutions.

Re: Firmware and Database updates not working. 17 Sep 2016 22:39 #17015

• lookin
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Hello,
I know this has been around a while but had a bit more input, questions. I have found that the only way to allow sentinel to update is to adjust my wireless router to low. At that point it is not scanning the ports. I have Windows firewall on my PC set to medium with no issues. What port does Sentinsl use for transferring info? Maybe I can setup an exemption for it.

Thanks Dave.

Re: Firmware and Database updates not working. 18 Sep 2016 00:47 #17016

• Jay911
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I'm not affiliated with Uniden so I can't say for sure, but I do believe it uses File Transfer Protocol aka FTP. The command port for FTP is port 21, but it may use other ports. Your firewall or router might have a preset exception rule for FTP that you can enable.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds