(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Outdoor antenna

Outdoor antenna 21 Aug 2015 05:43 #15581

• Peterjames
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all,

I can't seem to find any concrete info on any decent outdoor antennas. I have both the HP AND BCD436HP. I get decent local reception but it cuts out and can be sketchy. I live near Detroit Michigan and using MPSCS Project 25 Phase 1. Any suggestions would be great.

Re: Outdoor antenna 21 Aug 2015 14:29 #15582

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
ST-2 outdoor base antenna which covers all bands. Look no further than that.

Re: Outdoor antenna 23 Aug 2015 18:52 #15594

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
If you are a ham, you could build one, like I did. Worked 15 years, too I used #12 Elecrtrical wire, cut 3 lengths of it for the High Band (about 19 inches ), then 450 (about 4 1/2 inches) and then 800 Mhz (about 2 inches), then cut 3 more same length.
I twisted one end from each of the 3 together and soldering it Then did the same thing with the other three. The other ends of each group were left unattached. I took the two soldered ends to a length of RG59 TV coax, by splitting it on one end, attaching one group of 3 to the "hot" center, and one group to the ground braid. I stuck the length into a 1" PCV "T", running the coax out the center one. Electrical tape the joints where the wire attaches to the coax.
I cut some 1" PCV long enough to cover each group of wires, and glued it to the T, and enclosed each end of the PCV. I ran about 12" piece of PVC to the center T, running the coax thru it. Then I put a 90 degree corner PCV piece, runing it parallel to the grounded leg of the antenna. I Ran the coax thru it. Then, I cut another 12 inch piece of PCV pipe, and run it parallel to the grounded leg. Run coax thru that.
NOW, you have a 1/2 wave dipole, vertical polarized, and can be mounted with clamps to a mast. If you mount "hot" leg up, ground leg down, with mount to a mast or pole. Mount it as high as you can, and ESTIMATE HOW MUCH COAX YOU NEED BEFORE ASSEMBLY of this,
so you can run the required amount to reach you scanner with the smallest amount you can get away with. Terminate the coax with standard TV connector or maybe a BNC, and then get the appropirate adapter from that to the mini connector on you scanner.
You should be able to throw this together for $20 or so. I keep on seeing the debate on coax types, connectors, but this antenna worked well for me. Using standard 59 ohm coax, although not a real good match, works well enough for receiving. DUKE, WB9OJD since 1974.
Last Edit: 23 Aug 2015 18:55 by Duke.

Re: Outdoor antenna 27 Aug 2015 23:55 #15612

• MsAnAlOg
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the EZ antenna instructions, I will copy this "recipe"! I'm a housewife, I have plenty of time to tinker, mod and make. I have a whole radio room set up in our place, and its MY room :) not the Mister Analogs :) he was nice enough to "donate" that room for my crafts and radio hobbies. I am rather new to all the electronics stuff so I like to browse forums and websites for antenna constructions etc, I have a lot of books on it too, but I always have room to collect more how-tos, lots of PDFs and things I have all the stuff I need for this one in my junk box, only thing missing is the PVC but I can get by without it.

Re: Outdoor antenna 28 Aug 2015 00:31 #15613

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Interesting...maybe you should get into ham radio. Lots of fun for many areas of interest. I've been a VHF-UHF enthuiast for
40 plus years, having been Wisconsin's W.A.R. Frequency Coordinator from 1978-1984.
I've dabbled in low bands but nothing serious. Right now, the Home Patrol is only radio in my car.
Using on-glass all-band antenna from the recently-deceased Radio Shack here in town. Works okay, maybe not as good
as the one I had on the Honda Civic, but fine. See my install in my old Civic under Mobile Installations.
Has over 4000 hits as of last week. I also responded to other scanner people about a sun shroud I built in front of
my HP-1 so I could view it on my dash. Check around the site, and you see that too. I've manufactured my antennas for
years. DUKE, WB9OJD

PS If you run into any problems constructing the scanner antenna, return an entry on this thread. It will automatically send to me.
Last Edit: 28 Aug 2015 00:34 by Duke. Reason: Add

Re: Outdoor antenna 28 Aug 2015 03:10 #15614

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
The Spectrum mobile antenna works good. It's a tiny black antenna like the cellphones antennas on cars of yesteryear. It's curly and stays on great with magnetic mount.

I have also used a window antenna on glass hatch I got from Amazon that works good for a antenna taped to glass.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds