Need advice on Sale price of Homepatrol
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need advice on Sale price of Homepatrol

Need advice on Sale price of Homepatrol 21 Feb 2012 03:10 #9054

• Elembytes
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I see that Radio Shack has the HomePatrol on sale for $449.99 today (2-20-12) plus they have a $20 off coupon good through tomorrow that would make it priced at $429.99 or there about.

I have been trying to decide from another online vendor that sells it for $484.90 and it comes with a 2 year warranty. 1 year original manufacturer and 1 year on them.

I am not sure on sales tax- I think Radio Shack you'd have to pay for that I think.

I don't know if these things make that big of a deal or not? I am also wanting to buy a GPS with it so a big savings in base price would allow me more $$$ for GPS etc.,

Oh, the other online stores offer a 30-day Money Back Guarantee as well.

So, I need to see what other radio enthusiasts would say or suggest to someone like myself. In today's society and economy money is money and with $5 per gallon for gas coming due to global issues etc., I just don't know what to do. HELP if you can.

Thanks !

Re: Need advice on Sale price of Homepatrol 21 Feb 2012 06:50 #9055

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I got one from the local Ham Radio Outlet (there are only a few scattered around the country), and the second from a nearby Fry's Electronics. Prices were reasonable and low, respectively. I felt very good about both (within 3 miles) as to what would happen if something went South. You don't ever want to talk to someone in Central Asia about "going South".

Thanks,
Rob
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: Need advice on Sale price of Homepatrol 23 Feb 2012 05:25 #9064

• RKEWL
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I did the 484 and 2 yr warranty about a month ago and have no regrets. Peace of mind
HP-1E 396T 396XT 246T 780XLT 245XLT GRE600 8500XLT

Re: Need advice on Sale price of Homepatrol 23 Feb 2012 22:08 #9067

• Elembytes
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you! I think you are right on that decision you made. It's a big chunk of money though but spent about $400 back in 2002 when I bought my Bearcat 250D without an Apco 25 card. So guess I shouldn't complain.

I have read some posts where people have had trouble getting good reception. One person wrote that they sent it back to BC Warehouse and told them it wouldn't pick up at his home but would down the road on a hill. However that is few and far between thankfully.

Just not able to get much anymore on my 250d or my 780XLT anymore.

Thank you for your help and time!

Re: Need advice on Sale price of Homepatrol 24 Feb 2012 14:59 #9074

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
I have two HP-1. I ordered my first one in Oct 2010 the day it was announced as publicy available. I bought it from the fine folks at Ham Station, Evansville, IN via telephone. I have no idea what the posted comment about "central Asia" actually means. Almost all consumer electronics from TV to cellphones is manufactured offshore. However, in many cases, such as with Uniden there is an active USA company who supports the devices technically. You can look at this Forum itself and see that, no need to invoke the vague threat of "central Asia"...When I was a child there were electronics shops that sold intersting devices down the street, no longer. For the majority of us that means Mail Order.
I liked my first HP-1 so much I purchased a second one in Fall 2011 from Ham Station. Never had the slightest problem with either unit, never had to deal with Uniden service department although I did have to have a few problems answered on these Forum(s) by UPMAN, Uniden's expert on the care and feeding of Scanners.

My advice get the best deal you can from a reliable dealer on a new, factory guaranteed, HP-1. Don't bother with a dealer supplied additonal warranty. Follow the instructions on updating the Firmware and software. If you live in a 'stable RF environment' you likely will not need to slavishly do Weekly Database updates. In my town there has been no significant change in channel assignments in some months.

Enjoy!

LEP
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds