Unbelievable Reception
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Unbelievable Reception

Re:Unbelievable Reception 11 Oct 2010 08:05 #1308

• Saber
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
hutch67 wrote:
yes i tryied another antenna while i did get more signals that i could hear the overall quality of the signal went down alot. alot of cracking back ground static .oh wait its doing that with the rubber ducky on certain freq just does it more with ext.
do they sell a 32 ohm speaker or is that another uniden exculsive rip:woohoo:

32 ohm speaker? I guess I don't understand the whole ohm thing' as it relates to scanners. I know a HAM guy in my neighborhood using a HAM external speaker with filtering and he says it works great. If I recall, it's an 8 ohm speaker. Granted, its expensive and I'm not sure about the filtering features for simple scanning frequencies. I just figured he already had the speaker for HAM use and just hooked it up to his Bearcat.

BTW: When you listen to the HP-1 demo its sounds pretty rough in my opinion. In fact, my older Bearcat sounded much better with less distortion so go figure. Oh well, when my HP-1 arrives I'll take it over to the HAM guy and try it on his high-speed speaker to see if it actually make a difference.

Regards, :unsure:
Dan
Last Edit: 11 Oct 2010 08:50 by Saber.

Re:Unbelievable Reception 11 Oct 2010 10:16 #1325

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
To get back to the original post in this thread, without digressing into the relevant merits of specifying the impedance of external speaker output as 32 ohm. The origanal post was about the merits of the HP-1 receiver, especially on UHF.

I have the Uniden 996XT, 996T both connected through a Stridsburg multicoupler to a Diamond discone at about 30 ft elevation. The HP-1 has a SMA connector but I had on hand a SMA/BNC series adapter to connect it to one of the unused Stridsburg ports. While I have no equipment on hand for measuring the signal level (just the "bars" that serve as an S-meter as only my 996XT outputs the RSSI numerically) the HP-1 appears to be a better performer on UHF and VHF "hi-band" picking up several services that I didn't even have previously programmed in the other scanners because I was unaware of them. This was especially true of some services in another nearby State (SC) that is just had not occured to me would be of interest (or receivable) but the HP-1 database 'installed' them.

For my money it is a demonstrably Hot receiver. As soon as there is a small, neat, fits-perfectly, mobile mounting bracket, I will purchase a second HP-1 for my auto and 'retire' the Uniden 796D mounted in there now.

Re:Unbelievable Reception 11 Oct 2010 10:42 #1327

• ckuter
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
John wrote:
I'll second that Rich :)
You neve know what you will hear. On VHF High 154.1600 I just heard Michigan City Indiana dispatching a medical emergency. Thats around 137 miles from the tower to my house. I have been listening to them for about an hour now. The reciever is excellent in the HP-1, even on VHF. My 396XT is on the same antenna and not hearing this channel at all.

A 137 mile reception report on VHF is remarkable. I do not know how high their tower is and the power level used in transmitting. I get involved in VHF ham radio contests and would love a 137 miles radius.

Could it be that the HP-1 is scanning a far away station, and a station closer to the HP-1 is transmitting on the same frequency? Just a thought.

Re:Unbelievable Reception 11 Oct 2010 10:50 #1328

• Saber
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I was receiving SDSO (Station-M) transmissions with my older BCT-8 here in Yuma, AZ. That’s about the same distance of 130+ miles away. I was using a DISCONE on a 20-foot mast. Granted it wasn’t a consistent signal but still. I have high hopes for the HP-1 slaved to a better and taller antenna with LMR coax.

Regards,
Dan
Last Edit: 11 Oct 2010 11:00 by Saber.

Re:Unbelievable Reception 11 Oct 2010 11:48 #1330

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Why retire the 796D, use both in the car! Heck, I have 4 scanners in the car.....plus two amature radios, and a laptop....and there is still room for the kids lol

Re:Unbelievable Reception 11 Oct 2010 12:16 #1333

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Two reasons to retire the 796D, one of my systems is migrating to the 700 MHZ band and I am not aware of any way to 'retrofit' to receive there. Second reason, I have the rf unit mounted under the right-front seat next to some other radio equipment and using the ScannerMaster manufactured remote control head mounted on the console. Depending on what the HP-1 mounting bracket actually looks like, I would put the HP-1 in the same spot, I have a Toyota Avalon and the cabin space is a little small for additional radios and the HP-1 should definetly be where IMHO I could read it. Or, maybe I will just find a place for it in the house somewhere.

My HP-1 has already claimed the spot next to my TV watching easy chair where I used to have my 785D which has now been moved elsewhere while I figure out what to do with it. Of course, that one too suffers from NO 700 Mhz capability.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds