Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably

Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably 24 Feb 2012 02:34 #9069

• wouffhong
  • ( Visitor )
Asked it in the RR forum last week and got no responses..

The strongest signal at my home is the 162.400 and i set it to that frequency in the menu setup area.

It works fine until there is a power interruption, however short, and despite a charged battery, it flips over to 162.55 which is not received here and will work fine as a scanner, but does NOT return to the needed 162.400 channel.

I bring it up this evening as we are in a watch for severe weather with possibility (low) of tornadoes. Went through one disaster here in Ellijay last april and don't want to rely again on the cheap midland, but use an Rat-Shack Race Scanner for alerts, which works fine.

My $500+ HP-1 won't do the job of keeping the best WX channel needed and that's sad. i NEED it to STAY on 162.400 no matter what!

Wouff

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 24 Feb 2012 03:25 #9070

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
I thought I'd try to duplicate the issue... I set the WX alert standby to 162.425, put the scanner in WX standby and pulled the plug. I got the Warning that the scanner was on battery power and then it went back to WX Standby Mode screen.. Note that I had set both Standby Options to WX Standby. OK, this was cool and I didn't see Wouffhong's specific frequency change problem.

Then I tried it again, but this time did just a momentary (~ 1 second) disconnect. The scanner display showed the "scanner on battery" warning, but it did not go away, just hung on that warning - I left it for about 5 minutes with no change and since it did NOT revert to the the WX Standby screen, I have no idea whether it is actually in that mode or not. It appears that with a short power failure, the HP1 sees the loss of external power, puts up the warning message, but does not appear to see the power come back or gets confused. This, as Wouffhong pointed out, is potentially a very serious issue if a family were to be trusting the HomePatrol to monitor for severe weather warnings..... and momentary power interruptions are far from rare during storms..

Can Uniden check into this and advise?? I don't have any way of checking to see if the HP1 is still actually in WX monitor mode, or just hung on displaying the "operating on battery" warning screen.....
Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012 03:34 by OCO. Reason: f f

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 03:36 #9079

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
It'd be great if some of the other Forum members could test the issue.. The test is pretty simple:
1. Check your Standby settings - both external power and battery should be set for WX.
2: With the A/C adaptor plugged in and working, do a normal power off the HP1 - it should go to WX standby mode.
3. Pull the power plug out and put it back in within about three seconds or remove power from the AC adapter for the same length and then restore, again, before the "scanner on battery" warning goes away. This simulates those short power outages that can happen quite often just before or during a storm (or in my neck of the woods when the wind starts blowing down all the dead ash trees :) )

A: Does the scanner now just sit in the "battery warning" screen, even though the power has been restored?
B: If you restore the HP1 to normal operation, has the set WX monitor frequency changed?

I'll be waiting until the weekly NOAA test to see if the HP1 is actually functioning in WX monitor mode when it's hung on the "battery warning" screen.

I've got my old Midland weather radio back in service.....I don't trust the HP1 for that service at this point.........
Last Edit: 25 Feb 2012 03:36 by OCO.

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 15:09 #9080

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
FWIW - I'm not going to test. IMHO WX standby is a useless function.

If there IS a WX condition I'm going to have the scanner running, not have it in WX mode.

Dedicated high quality WX radio on 24/7.

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 15:38 #9081

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
OCO wrote:
It'd be great if some of the other Forum members could test the issue.. The test is pretty simple:
1. Check your Standby settings - both external power and battery should be set for WX.
2: With the A/C adaptor plugged in and working, do a normal power off the HP1 - it should go to WX standby mode.
3. Pull the power plug out and put it back in within about three seconds or remove power from the AC adapter for the same length and then restore, again, before the "scanner on battery" warning goes away. This simulates those short power outages that can happen quite often just before or during a storm (or in my neck of the woods when the wind starts blowing down all the dead ash trees :) )

A: Does the scanner now just sit in the "battery warning" screen, even though the power has been restored?
B: If you restore the HP1 to normal operation, has the set WX monitor frequency changed?
............................................[/b]

3. Pull the power plug out and put it 1. Check your Standby settings - both external power and battery should be set for WX.
2: With the A/C adaptor plugged in and working, do a normal power off the HP1- it should go to WX standby mode.
3. Pull the power plug out and put it back in within about three seconds or remove power from the AC adapter for
the same length and then restore, again, before the "scanner on battery" warning goes away. ...

HP-1 (E) = YES
HP-1 = YES

(not sure what you mean by "normal operation"?)

If I follow the screen instructions and tap, both Scanners go to "Weather Alert Standby" with no change in the previous "set WX monitor frequency". After a minute, or so, both screens go dark. A tap brings each back to "Weather Alert Standby". This cycle will repeat.

(I would consider "normal operation" to be scanning my Favorite Lists, and there may be more than one way to get back to that "normal operations". If that is also what you meant, state the specific steps, that I should take to get back to "normal operations".)

Thanks
Rob
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)
Last Edit: 25 Feb 2012 15:39 by rwier.

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 19:29 #9084

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder

3. Pull the power plug out and put it 1. Check your Standby settings - both external power and battery should be set for WX.
2: With the A/C adaptor plugged in and working, do a normal power off the HP1- it should go to WX standby mode.
3. Pull the power plug out and put it back in within about three seconds or remove power from the AC adapter for
the same length and then restore, again, before the "scanner on battery" warning goes away. ...

HP-1 (E) = YES
HP-1 = YES

(not sure what you mean by "normal operation"?)

If I follow the screen instructions and tap, both Scanners go to "Weather Alert Standby" with no change in the previous "set WX monitor frequency". After a minute, or so, both screens go dark. A tap brings each back to "Weather Alert Standby". This cycle will repeat.

(I would consider "normal operation" to be scanning my Favorite Lists, and there may be more than one way to get back to that "normal operations". If that is also what you meant, state the specific steps, that I should take to get back to "normal operations".)

Thanks
Rob

Rob - I should have said normal standby operation, which you are getting by tapping the screen..which is gonna be tough to do when you're sleeping. Did the frequency stay at what you had set it? My focus (And Wouff's, I'm sure) is on the WX standby mode becoming inoperable when you're not sitting right at the scanner. I have not been able to duplicate the frequency change issue that he has, but the "less than three second" power outage still hangs mine in the "battery operation warning" screen... I guess I'll have to wait until Wednesday for the next NOAA test to see what happens with it on the battery warning screen...
Last Edit: 25 Feb 2012 19:38 by OCO.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds